We’re up to page fifteen on the comic. I’m done penciling the batch I’m on now (which would equate to issue three? sure) and have moved onto inking. Now that I’m not moving and going out of town, it should go more quickly.
Still working on getting the site updated, but in the meantime…
Naoko Nekoi finds a mysterious stone that gives her telekinetic control over rocks. There are four other stones like hers, and Naoko must team up with a wanted vigilante before the stones fall into the wrong hands.
I’ve uploaded the first five pages of Ruby Red here. I’ll upload the next few pages on Friday, and after that, I’ll upload a page every Monday and Thursday. When I get the rubyred subdomain all set up, I’ll put the comic there (and probably keep posting it at deviantart, too).
I’m using Blambot for most of the fonts. Anything that isn’t Blambot is handwritten, except for the chapter title font (Birch Std). Everything else–all the textures, linework, cheesy dialogue–is all by me. So… let’s see how this goes.
Oh, and I made a facebook page for my art! You can also find me on:
Until next time…
- regular updates. I’m going to start posting a comic I’ve been working on called Ruby Red (you can see some of the characters here). I just wanted to get enough of a buffer so that I wasn’t rushing to make regular updates, and I’ve got almost 40 pages done now, with the next ~20 thumbnailed and the script for the ~20 after that finished. I’m basically drawing it by what would be an issue if it were being traditionally published, but I’ll be uploading by page, probably twice a week. The first 20 pages have been finished since last August, but last year was kind of horrible so I didn’t get to commit myself to drawing it as much as I’d have liked. This year’s looking to be better though, so I’m looking forward to finally getting this story onto paper. As much as I love it, I’m still relatively new to drawing comics (this will be the fourth one I’ve ever drawn, and the only one longer than a single issue). It’s figuring out a process that works for both me and this comic that’s been tough, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.
- website redesign in addition to making a site for the comic.
- name change for my deviantart account. Probably to pjeanniejean. Probably.
- new scanner/printer that can scan (and print) up to 11×17 so I AM EXCITED! No more stitching together slightly larger pieces of artwork in photoshop! Plus considering my old scanner/printer was bought in 2006 (with my first ever paycheck… oh, memories), it’s well past time I got a new one.
- maybe some watercolor paintings? It’s been a while since I’ve just painted for the hell of it, and the days are getting longer now so it could be something to do. And I want to do more portraits. Maybe I should continue doing the thing where I was drawing all the reference pictures of people’s faces I’d saved to my computer. Maybe…
Also I installed a website blocker (stayfocusd) and it has worked wonders on my productivity. It’s the best thing since I discovered the youtube comment blockers, which in turn was the best thing since adblock. What I’m trying to say is that extensions make the Internet better.
Well here is my seasonal blog post. I uploaded a sketch dump of miscellaneous drawings from my last two sketchbooks. I really thought that I’d scanned & sketchdumped my previous sketchbook, but apparently I didn’t. So you all get twice the sketches now! I have two other compilations of sketches from these last two books, so hold onto your hats! I’ll be uploading them in the next week or two (gotta space it out, man).
My new years resolution is to get Ruby Red off the ground. I’ve decided that I’m going to put it up online, once I get a section of my site set up for it (which my awesome sister is helping me with). I think that’ll encourage me to get it drawn faster, rather than waiting to get the story picked up by a publisher or only doing self-publishing. So I’ll let you know when I start putting that up, it’ll probably begin around March. Stay tuned!
I HAVE RETURNED TO THE LAND OF PROPERLY MADE* TEA
I am back! Where did I go? I was up in Ohio (and also Michigan) visiting family for the last 2.5 weeks. It was pretty well-timed, as apparently South Carolina went from the mild summer we were having at the beginning of June to triple digit Fahrenheit. Now it’s only 97°. But I am back! And I’ve got plans! Art plans! Worthy of exclamation point abuse! !!!
I’ll get off my lazy butt and scan some doodles I did in Ohio in the next couple days. I also finished a commission and delivered it to its recipient (my sister who goes to school in Michigan), but it was too big to scan and I didn’t get a good picture of it. I will next time I go up there (which will be either later this year or next summer… who knows).
It was a good trip and I am glad I got to see everyone, but there’s nothing quite like coming back to your own home after a long trip. Also cats.
Oh, and I saw Brave. D’aw.
*i.e., twelve cups of sugar with some other stuff in it.
I’ve been drawing all the faces in my reference folder. Have a look!
I’ll update as I go along…
This is what I’m doing this Friday evening, and so should you:
With guest speaker Kevin Tong.
And food. Mmm.
Still alive, in spite of my lack of presence on this bloggish thing. Art is going, life is going, and so on. In art news, I got a drafting table! You’d be surprised what a difference it can make. I also got a light-box! And I got a rapidograph sketch pen because my normal one died. It’s been on the verge of death for half a year now, but it finally gave up. So I decided to go with a sketch pen for now since I had a $10 amazon gift card, and since I’d rather wait and save up to buy the 7-pen-set than buy just the one pen.
Let’s see… the mini-comic that I might’ve worked on didn’t go through, but other opportunities have arisen, so it works out I suppose.
Also this year’s Winthrop senior show is coming up on April 20th, and I will be going to that. Looking forward to seeing what this year’s senior class has in store!
Hello! It has been a long time since I last updated this thing, and I apologise for that! It is a combination of being somewhat busy, but not busy enough to know what to write in an update. Or the few times I have had something interesting to update with, I forgot (although I have been doing better at updating my journal over on deviantArt… maybe I should just copy+paste my journals from there whenever I update it?) Well, let’s update with what I’m currently doing:
- Commissions! I am doing them! Here are my prices if you are interested, and if you don’t see what you’re looking for, feel free to email me and I’ll see what I can do! I am actually working on a travel poster for my sister right now for my hometown of Greenville, SC. She wants to get travel posters of each city she’s lived in. It’s been interesting, and I should start painting this week or next…
- Geolindin! That children’s book I illustrated is still available for purchase! I am actually starting on illustrations for the sequel sometime early this year, so look out for that. We had two book signings in November for this first book though (which I quite stupidly did not update about on here), but we plan on having more in the future, especially when the second one comes out.
- Mini-Comic! In addition to the sequel to Geolindin, sometime soon I will probably be starting another project which will be a mini-comic! I will update with more details once I start the project, but I’m pretty excited about it!
- Animal design thingies! So I originally started these designs for a calendar I was going to make myself, but then the free custom calendar credit thingy I had expired before I finished 12 designs. But I am going to continue doing them, I think, and will soon upload them onto this site and my deviantArt as well. They started out as just some loose sketches of these creatures I’d drawn in my sketchbook, but some of them got a bit more extravagant as I went along… you’ll see. I’ve been creating these animals by combining characteristics of real animals (such as combining a weedy sea dragon, a pipefish, and a narwhal). It’s a lot cuter than it sounds.
- I thought up a tentative name for this series! Only tentative, but it’s something. It’s Ruby Red, which is currently the main character’s superhero alias. I’ve placed drawing the comic on hiatus, however, because of a couple of reasons. For one, I am not sure if I am happy with the crosshatched look. In some places it works, but in others I think it falls a little short. So I am going to try out some other methods of shading before continuing, although I might go ahead and finish the 23 pages I’ve already started inking, just to have something to put out there (plus it’s good practice). The other reason I’m putting it on hiatus is because I haven’t actually finished writing the story. The first arc is looking to have four or five chapters, and I have up through chapter three written, and all of the major points of the last two potential chapters, but I need to get in there and write the details to the last chapters. These unknown details are why I don’t know exactly how many chapters it will be, nor how long each of the chapters will be.
- Cat-sitting for my sister! I’m at her place until Monday or Tuesday because she went out of town for New Year’s. It’s been somewhat productive, but I keep getting distracted by her Netflix account…
- Part-time seasonal job! This has nothing to do with art, but it’ll be a little bit of extra money for me, which is always nice.
- Student loans! …Don’t let the exclamation point fool you, I am not excited about this one at all.
So as busy as I’ve been, it’s mainly a lot of planning and doing little things that has taken up my time. I will try to update this in the future though (that’s what I always say, I know). In the mean time, you can always follow me on Twitter or watch my deivantArt account to stay up-to-date on my crazy antics.
So, I illustrated a kid’s book! You can buy it here! It’s got ten inside illustrations, and 146 pages telling anecdotes and adventures of the little elf Geolindin. Here is the cover, and if you click “next” you can see two of the inside illustrations.
So what are you waiting for? Go! Click the link!
And after you’ve clicked those links, click this one to follow the elf on Facebook!